I have long been interested in influenza vaccine, evidence-based medicine, and what would be the best vaccine policy under various circumstances. This interest has led to serving on the CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, first as a liaison and later as a voting member where I chaired the influenza working group. My policy interest has also led service on policy bodies for the AAFP and the IDSA (e.g., influenza antivirals, including during the pandemic). As an extension of my vaccine policy expertise, I have been involved in vaccine modeling, particularly on projects related to influenza and pneumococcal vaccines. I participated in the 2011 NIH Institute on Systems Science and Health. I co-presented with Dr. Smith to the ACIP at CDC on pneumococcal vaccine Markov analyses in February 2011. I served with MIDAS’s agent-based modeling, including work for the pandemic, segmentation of the population into various risk categories, and the combined vaccine effects. I have taken the Imperial College course on Mathematical Models of the Epidemiology and Control of Infectious Disease. I have served as the PI of federal R01s and U01s and as co-PI on a P01 EXCEED from AHRQ which addressed adult disparities. I have served as the PI on vaccine immunogenicity trials and of a modeling study. I serve as the Pittsburgh PI for the CDC’s multi-center US Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness Network which has addressed both the clinical effectiveness as well as the immunogenicity of influenza vaccines. I have gathered a diverse team of modelers for this proposal and have worked with each one previously.
- Zimmerman RK, Medsger AR, Ricci EM, Raymund M, Mieczkowski TA, Grufferman S: Impact of free vaccine and insurance status on physician referral of children to public vaccine clinics. JAMA 1997;278:996-1000. PMCID 9307347
- Zimmerman RK, Santibanez TA, Janosky JE, Fine MJ, Raymund M, Wilson SA, Bardella IJ, Medsger AR, Nowalk MP: What affects influenza vaccination rates among older patients? An analysis from inner-city, suburban, rural, and veterans affairs practices. American Journal of Medicine 2003; 114(1): 31-38. PMCID: 12543208
- Zimmerman RK, Raymund M, Janosky JE, Nowalk MP, Fine MJ: Sensitivity and Specificity of Patient Self-Report of Influenza and Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccinations among Elderly Outpatients in Diverse Patient Care Strata. Vaccine 2003; 21:1486-91. PMID: 12615445
- Zimmerman RK, Nowalk MP, Raymund M, Tabbarah M, Hall DG, Wahrenberger JT, Wilson SA, Ricci EM: Tailored interventions to increase influenza vaccination in neighborhood health centers serving the disadvantaged. Am J Pub Health 2003; 93:1699-1705. In theme issue on Eliminating Health Inequalities. PMCID: 14534225
- Zimmerman RK, Hoberman A, Nowalk MP, Lin CJ, Greenberg DP, Weinberg ST, Ko FS, Fox DE: Improving influenza vaccination in high risk inner-city children over 2 intervention years. Ann Fam Med 2006; 4:534-40. PMCID 17148632
- Nowalk MP, Zimmerman RK, Lin CJ, Raymund M, Tabbarah M, Wilson SA, McGaffey A, Wahrenberger JT, Block B, Hall DG, Fox DE, Ricci EM. Raising Adult Vaccination Rates over 4 Years Among Racially Diverse Patients at Inner-City Health Centers. J Am Geriatr Soc 2008; 56:1177-1182. PMCID: 1854736
- 7. Harper SA, Bradley JS, Englund JA, File TM, Gravenstein S, Hayden FG, McGeer AJ, Neuzil KM, Pravia AT, Tapper ML, Uyeki TM, Zimmerman RK: Seasonal Influenza in Adults and Children— Diagnosis, Treatment, Chemoprophylaxis, and Institutional Outbreak Management: Clinical Practice Guidelines of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2009; 48:1003-32.
- Zimmerman RK, Nowalk MP, Lin CJ, Raymund M, Fox DE, Harper JD, Tanis MD, Willis BC: A Factorial Design for Improving Influenza Vaccination Among Employees of a Large Health System. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2009; 30:691-697. PMID: 19489716
- Nowalk MP, Lin CJ, Toback SL, Rousculp MD, Eby C, Raymund M, Zimmerman RK Improving Influenza Vaccination Rates in the Workplace: A Randomized Trial. Am J Prev Med 2010; 38:237-246. Lead article. PMCID 20036102
- Lee BY, Bailey RR, Wiringa AE, Afriyie A, Wateska AR, Smith KJ, Zimmerman RK: Economics of Employer-Sponsored Workplace Vaccination to Prevent Pandemic and Seasonal Influenza Vaccine. Vaccine 2010 Aug 23;28(37):5952-9. PMID: 20620168