- Ten BSL-3 “enhanced” Laboratories
- Separate bacterial and viral suites
- BD FACSAria, Bioplex, real-time PCR, and other molecular and immune analysis equipment
- Four fully equipped ABSL-3 enhanced suites
- Each suite can accommodate an independent pathogen with a different animal species
- Can accommodate animal species ranging from small rodents to non-human primates
- Biocontainment caging available
- Veterinary support staff available
- Dedicated necropsy suite
- Clinical Imaging facility with MicroPET and CT instrumentation
- Aerobiology facility for aerosol exposure of animal models
- Mobile transfer cart system for containment of animals and pathogen during transport between specialty suites.
The Clinical Imaging suite features a state-of-the-art custom-designed Siemens Focus 220 microPET coupled with a NeuroLogica CereTom portable CT scanner. This system provides co-resolution of digital images and can accommodate animal species ranging from rodents to nonhuman primates. The University of Pittsburgh RBL has dedicated staff from the Department of Radiology on site for expert images and interpretation. Portable digital X-ray capabilities also are available.
Preclinical PET/CT Visualizes Small Tuberculosis Lesions in Nonhuman Primate (NHP) Model.